Website Penobscot Bay YMCA
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Finance Director at Penobscot Bay YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined. The Finance Director also ensures a system of strong internal controls and fiscal soundness and provides direction and leadership for the Y’s finance and operations.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
1. Manage all functions of accounting (including AP, AR, etc.) and financial operations, ensuring that legal, GAAP, and audit requirements are met, and that best practices and maximum efficiency are obtained.
2. Oversee and provide leadership to the development and monitoring of the annual budget process including: development of key assumptions and scenario analysis, issuing guidelines and procedures to departmental managers; training staff, preparing and monitoring budget to actual results monthly and communicating with budget managers about significant variances. Preparing forecast results periodically.
3. Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
4. Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
5. Update and implement all necessary financial policies and accounting practices.
6. Implement appropriate systems and internal controls to adequately safeguard the Y’s financial resources and to ensure accurate reporting of financial data.
7. Hire, train, and oversee assigned staff, providing direct supervision. Arrange back-up for staff as needed.
8. Manage the annual independent audit and the IRS 990 tax form. Prepare or oversee the preparation of required audit schedules; maintain records; act as liaison with external audit firm, the Y Finance Committee, and the Y Board of Directors.
9. Oversee the month-end and year-end closings and the preparation of financial statements and management reports, as well as other reports and filings.
10. Collect and maintain data on government contracts and grants to ensure compliance with such agreements.
11. Work with the CEO to manage banking relationships.
12. Work with the Development team to ensure appropriate recognition, monitoring and spending of restricted and unrestricted donor gift arrangements.
13. Works jointly with the HR director on yearly benefit renewals, payroll processing and related systems.
14. Other duties necessary for the good of the organization.
· Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or business required OR Bachelor’s degree in other field with 5 – 7 years of experience in financial management
· 5+ years of related experience in accounting.
· Accounting experience in a nonprofit organization, preferred.
· Previous supervisory experience.
· Expertise with computerized accounting systems (Quickbooks preferred), payroll systems, standard software (MS Suite, Google Suite), as well as advanced Excel skills
Excellent benefit package:
Paid Time-Off/PTO (80 hours in first year, 120 hours after first anniversary)
Paid Holidays – 12 per year
Short and Long-term Disability Insurance
Generous Retirement program with 10% match from the Y after 2 years of service.
Free annual family membership to both the Rockport and Rockland YMCA (valued at over $948/year)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com