The Apprenticeshop is a community that cultivates thinkers, makers, and doers through traditional boatbuilding and seamanship to navigate an ever-changing world. Anchored in Maine’s maritime heritage, we envision a world enriched by creative, collaborative, self-reliant, and thoughtful makers who explore and engage with the intersection of traditional craft and contemporary culture.
What we do:
- Apprenticeship Programs 2-year, 9-month and 12-week boatbuilding apprenticeships where students learn traditional wooden boatbuilding and seamanship in a hands-on, community-minded environment.
- Youth Sailing from spring through fall, we offer sailing programs and summer camps where young people can learn to sail, or improve their skills.
- Community Sailing Free Friday community sailing and adult sail training opportunities through the summer.
- Workshops on an array of subjects including traditional craft, woodworking, metal work, knot work, toboggan building, and more.
- Waterfront services including dinghy tie-up, slip rental, and mooring rentals.
- Boat Sales and Commissions you can purchase a boat that was lovingly handcrafted at The Apprenticeshop, or contact us to have your own vessel commissioned.
- Shop Tours come visit to see the current projects we’re working on!