Website tanglewood4h UMaine 4-H Camps and Learning Centers at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove
Trips and Leadership Program Instructor
The UMaine 4-H Learning Centers at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally focused summer camps for youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world.
As a trip and leadership program instructor, you will serve as a mentor and coach as teens learn different leadership styles through wilderness adventures over multiple-week sessions. Programs will focus on leadership styles, communication skills, group building, and environmental education and ethics. To be effective, instructors must have a genuine interest in building their capacity as positive role models through teaching applicable hard skills needed to find success in the back-country while applying best leadership practices.
- Attend and actively participate in a two-week-long paid staff training where practical skills are practiced, reviewed, and tested to ensure comfortability when leading and teaching campers
- Co-lead one and two-week outdoor leadership programs for teenagers (co-ed, max. 8/session). Each program session includes a 5-13 day backpacking and/or canoeing trip. NOTE: includes some weekend work during the program session.
- Plan lessons and schedules and implement a leadership curriculum that covers a variety of skills including listening, communication, team-building, low-impact camping, conflict resolution, canoe safety, and canoeing skills, backpacking, map and compass, general ecology, personal health and safety, and knot tying.
- Prepare food for trips and coordinate logistical support, food/equipment deliveries, emergency support, etc.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of campers at all times; facilitate resolution of group conflicts and strive to encourage problem-solving and decision-making; live in and supervise cabin of up to 6 program participants.
- Role model healthy living, positive energy, clear communication, and good stewardship for the environment.
- Actively engage with campers during lessons, recreation, and mealtimes.
- Strictly and responsibly follow all Covid-related protocols during working and non-working hours.
- High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.)
- Minimum of 2 years related experience working with teenagers and teaching in the outdoors or equivalent
- Experience leading camping/backpacking/canoeing trips
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain with 35+lbs. packs for extended days and the ability to assist in carrying canoes (85 lb.) with others
- Demonstrate responsible and safe decision-making skills in all aspects of outdoor camp programming
- Wilderness First Aid & CPR and lifeguard certification (or ability to obtain prior to start of training)
- Preferred: Wilderness First Responder, Small Craft Water Safety Certification
Dates and Compensation:
June 12-August 20, 2022 (10 weeks)
$450/week ($4,500 pre-tax salary estimate) with increases dependent on experience and certifications
Benefits include: housing, meals, and internet access
Apply online at umaine.edu/tanglewood/employment/apply.
The University of Maine System is considered a federal contractor and therefore required to comply with the directives of civil authorities regarding COVID vaccinations. As of January 4, 2022, new hires are required to be fully vaccinated or have submitted a request for a religious or medical exemption on or prior to their start date.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA employer and does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender expression, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran’s status in employment, education, and all other programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Director of Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469-5754, 207.581.1226, TTY 711 (Maine Relay System).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com